CDSSG have agreed to purchase an annual retainer with Irwin Mitchell LLP to provide with legal support by email and telephone on any issue falling within the scope of the retainer provided that each issue for which support is requested can be dealt with in less than 30 minutes.
The types of issues covered under this retainer are issues covered by the public law team. A non-exhaustive list is set out below:
Queries about education provision including:
- How to request an EHC needs assessment/EHC plan, and what that can provide to the client/if it would be helpful;
- What additional support the child or young person is likely to be entitled to in school/college, and how to request this;
- How to request transport provision for the child or young person, or specialist transport provision;
- How to challenge any refusal by the school, college or local authority to provide additional support, transport, or education at all;
- What to do if there is anything in the way of the child or young person having access to the school, college, or curriculum as well;
- Queries relating to any perceived discrimination;
- What to do if the child or young person is excluded from school and what can be requested from the school/local authority; and
- When it is appropriate to raise a complaint and/or formally challenge education provision in a court or tribunal.
Queries about capacity or best interest disputes, for example:
- Uncertainty about a person’s capacity to make decisions about their care or treatment, or consent to treatment, and what action to take;
- Concerns about a person’s capacity in relation to contact with other people, or to consent to sex/engage in relationships with others; and
Queries relating to deprivation of liberty, including:
- Whether a person’s care plan is depriving them of their liberty;
- Whether the care plan/placement needs to be authorised, and how to do that;
Under the terms of this retainer, Irwin Mitchell are only authorised to speak with Julie Duff of CDSSG or another member of staff as nominated by Julie. They are unable to speak with individual parents and families unless a separate funding agreement is entered into which can be discussed depending on the facts of an individual case.
If you wish to access this service then please contact CDSSG initially via this email address